skip to primary navigationskip to content

What We Provide

Our visitors may use the allocated desks within the Centre and may make use of the University libraries. They may follow some lectures and seminars subject to prior consent and space permitting, and are invited to join the life of the department such as coffee mornings, social events and the CDS Seminar Series held during term. The Centre can offer only limited direct academic supervision as the Centre assumes that visitors come to Cambridge to pursue their own independent research. Visitors are expected to meet the direct costs of photocopying, printing and other consumables and costs associated with their work via bench fees.

Find a Sponsor

We are particularly interested in welcoming visitors whose research areas overlap with the interests of our own staff, therefore applications will only be considered if they are supported by a current member of academic staff in the Centre.


There is a bench fee of £800 (plus VAT at 20%) per month.

The Department does not cover any living or travel costs for visitors.


If you are not a person with settled status in the UK or a national of a country within the European Economic Area, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland then you will probably need a visa - this would normally be via the Academic Visitor route. For more information ( It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that compliance with UK immigration/visa requirements is met.


The Centre does not provide accommodation, nor can it assist applicants with finding accommodation in Cambridge but if you need help please log on to the University of Cambridge Accommodation Service at or contact them by email: