skip to primary navigationskip to content

University Fieldwork Fund

The Fieldwork Fund

The University Fieldwork Fund is managed by the Department Teaching Administrator for POLIS. 

Fieldwork Funding is available to PhD students who are undertaking fieldwork as part of their course. The fund is given to the Department by the School, and the Department awards funds to students based on the applications it receives. Fieldwork Funding is intended as a way to assist students with their fieldwork expenses.

There are two funding rounds run each calendar year for fieldwork trips:

  • Round one – for trips taking place in January - June. The deadline for this application is 1 December each year.
  • Round two – for trips taking place in July - December. The deadline for this application is 1 June each year.

The form can be found on the Graduate Student Resources webpage together with the latest guidelines. The application form is also posted on Moodle.

You must apply for the University Fieldwork Fund before you leave for fieldwork and at the same time as you apply for Leave to Work Away. Please note that your application for funds will not be considered until your Leave to Work Away has been approved. You will also be required to keep and collate all of your receipts in order for these to be processed by the Finance team. 

Particular deadlines are announced by the administrative team as to when you will need to get your fieldwork funding application submitted by, so do check your emails for updates, or ask the Centre Administrator if you are unsure.