skip to primary navigationskip to content

Applying for Leave to Work Away

Leave to Work Away

As a registered graduate student you will need to apply for Leave to Work Away if at any time you plan to work away from Cambridge to conduct fieldwork, undertake work directly related to your studies or "write up" prior to submission of your thesis. 

You do not need to apply for short trips (up to 2 weeks) but you must apply for any period longer than this, even if you are returning home. 

**For trips less than 2 weeks you must still complete a Risk Assessment form (see below).** 

It is very important that the University has a record of where you are when not in Cambridge. For those students sponsored under Tier 4, it is absolutely essential.

You should not consider leaving Cambridge without having received notification by email from the Student Registry that your application to work away has been approved. 

You can now apply for University Travel Insurance (which is free) prior to having your Leave to Work Away Approved - and for shorter trips which do not need LTWA.

University Travel Insurance website

It is now the responsibility of the student to ensure that the Leave to Work Away is approved. Please make sure that you apply well ahead of going on your fieldwork trip (probably at least 2 months ahead) to make sure that the whole process is completed before you go. Please remember to check the stage of your application on your CamSIS self-service pages. The application goes first to the supervisor for approval, then to the Department (Prudence Golding-Fuller - administrator), then to the College, then to the Degree Committee (Prudence Golding-Fuller - administrator), then to the Student Registry. If your application does not progress please contact the person responsible for the stage where the application is stuck immediately.

It is very important that you keep a close eye on your application via your self-service as the University Fieldwork Fund administrator will not consider your application for funds if your leave has not been approved before you go on fieldwork trip. 

Please read our Central POLIS Graduate Resources Webpage very carefully to make sure that you fully understand the Department procedures concerning Leave to Work Away, Fieldwork and Fieldwork Funding. The Central POLIS Graduate Resources Webpage will be updated regularly to reflect any changes that are made to the procedures. 

We are delighted and proud to see that the Centre has gone from no.8 (2015) to no.6 (2016) to no.4 (2017) in the field of Development Studies in the QS Survey. This would not have been possible without the dedication and hard work from everyone within the Centre.

Message from the director: You will be pleased to know that we have moved up from 8 in 2015 to 6 this year in the QS world ranking for Development Studies. This is a remarkable result and a great tribute to the tremendous efforts of the whole team of teachers and administrators. It's a fantastic result! Professor Peter Nolan

Congratulations to PhD student Nungari Mwangi who was awarded the 2016 Andrew E Rice Award from the Society for International development!

Dr Fennell high level facilitator at WSIS 2016

We are pleased to announce that Dr Fennell has been appointed as High Level Track Facilitator at the World Summit on the Information Society Forum.